Tuesday, December 4, 2007

San Diego - Day 2


When you live on the East Coast and travel to the West Coast, mornings are so easy, at least easy to get up early! On the other hand, it's very difficult to stay out late.

So Day 2 of our Beer Fest Adventure in San Diego started at 6am for me. My goal was to go running on the beach. I planned out a long run so that I could stay on track for my marathon training. Well, 6am it was still dark but I did notice some mist in the street lights -- yuck! I hoped the mist didn't mean rain. At 7am I checked again, it was light but also raining. At 7:30am I finally convinced myself to just do it anyway, I might not run as far as I was planning on, but some running is always better than no running. The run was shorter than I planned, but I was really happy that I got out there. I saw lots of neat condos, some for rent. I also saw some porpoises along the shore -- very cool!

Then we checked out of the Surfer Dude hotel at Pacific Beach and headed up the coast to the not-so-good hotel in Carlsbad. The Strong Ale Fest is located in Carlsbad which I just don't consider as interesting of an area as Pacific Beach. Oh well, you gotta go where the beer fest is. After checking into the hotel, Bob and I grabbed a quick lunch then joined Larry and Dave in their room for a beer tasting pre-beer fest event. I tell you, the beer geeks are serious about their beer.


Time to go to the Strong Ale Fest. Remember that rain from the mornings run? Well it was doing the same thing in Carlsbad. We figured this meant that only the really hard-core, die-hard beer geeks would go so the crowd would be small and lines short. We were right. Unfortunately, I forgot that it was STRONG ale that I was consuming and by 6pm was done for the night. I won't go into the details involving my exit from the festival -- it was not pretty.

Tomorrow, more breweries and the last day of the Strong Ale Fest.

No comments: