Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas presents

It's Christmas time so time to get Christmas presents for people. I'm notoriously bad at remembering to get presents for people other than family. This year I am even doing poorly getting the gifts for family, but that's another story!

So now that Colin is old enough to understand the giving part of Christmas, I have some help with the old "what to give" problem. Even if it is a really bad gift, all I have to say is that it was all Colin's idea and instantly it becomes the greatest gift in the world. I think it also takes the pressure off of me to get the absolutely, most perfect gift. I want to clarify that's pressure that I put on myself, there is nobody else criticizing my gifting choices ... well maybe there was somebody and I was traumatized earlier in life -- but what's done is done. Anyway it would probably do me some good to remember the old adage, "it's the thought that counts".

A couple of months ago, Bob and I hired a part-time nanny to watch Colin and Nathan when I go into the office. She comes two days a week and is a really sweet lady. Today is the last time we will see her before Christmas. Naturally, yesterday was when I decided to go shopping for her Christmas present. I asked Colin what he would like to give her for Christmas. He says, "A flower". Ah, how nice! "But not a fake one", he continues, "one that can grow". So that means a potted flower or plant, not just a flower cutting. I'm thinking, what a perfect gift! Colin is a genius!

So we went to Home Depot to look at the real flowers. Of course every one Colin sees is the one he wants to get. Me? I've got to find the perfect one before I even ask for Colin's input (see above comments about perfect gifts). We decided on a little rose bush, you know with the teeny tiny roses. It might not even be a rose bush, but that's what it looks like to me. I couldn't find a nice pot to put it in, so I just wrapped the plastic pot with red Christmas foil. I hope she likes it!

No comments: