Monday, February 25, 2008

Pregnancy vs. marathon training

Okay, another non-kid related post. I guess it's got indirect kid references, but it's all about me me me me. As I eluded to in some previous posts, I'm training for the ING marathon at the end of March. It's a personal goal that I've had for a long time. I started training last October with only being able to run 5 miles. In November I signed up for bootcamp which I've been doing pretty much since then as my cross training.

Bootcamp really emphasizes on eating well, like eating 6 smaller meals, lots of protein, never eating a carb without a protein. Stuff like that. So this starts to remind Bob of when I was pregnant and watching my nutrition very closely.

Bootcamp also advocates no alcohol. So I try to limit the amount I consume, well sometimes I try, sometimes not. My thing is that I gave up alcohol entirely for 18 months when I was pregnant with Colin and Nathan. I can do it, but I not giving it up entirely again. However, I can really tell when I haven't been good because my workouts will be really difficult. So I might give it up entirely for the last month before the marathon. Well, not entirely but really limit the amount. God that sounds so wishy-washy, I hate it when I sound like that!

Now as my long runs are getting longer, I'm experiencing some abdominal cramping. When I was in high school and college, I had real bad cramps during "that time of the month". Those cramps were a lot like labor pains. And the cramps I'm currently experiencing are like both. Then last week, I ran 18 miles (woo hoo), afterward I had severe abdominal cramps just like labor. This makes me a little nervous. The next long run (and last one before the race) is 20 miles. Really going to try and take care of myself, eat right, drink lots of water, and pray for no cramps -- at least not as bad as last time. So pretty much do like I did when I was pregnant minus the waddling.

2 comments:

amy cohen-huffine said...

You're not pregnant, are you?

Kristine said...

Oh no!!! Baby factory CLOSED! At least, I better not be.