Sunday, February 24, 2008

Munich - Day 2

Day 2 for me in Munich and my last day. I started the day good by doing a 10 mile run along the river. After we had lunch with Dave at Ayinger. The next stop was the infamous Hofbrauhaus where I had my first Radler beer, yummmy!

Radler beer is a mixture of lemonade and a lager beer. Interesting story behind the origins of Radler beer. Radler is German for cyclist and apparently back in 1922, 13,000 cyclists were visiting a tavern. When the beer started to run out the tavern owner started diluting the beer with lemonade saying that this was done so the cyclists wouldn't have to worry about falling off their bicycles. tee hee

For dinner, Bob ordered a number of things that I would normally never even try (I can't even remember there were too many Radlers that day), and I ordered something that was described as "scrambled pancakes with apples and raisins" in English. The stuff that Bob ordered was good, I'm shocked that I ate it, but the scrambled pancakes were to die for!

Things to note from that day. We were walking through Marienplatz and there were police every where you turned. We were confused and didn't remember so many the last time we were in town (about 10 years ago). But during some conversations at the Hofbrauhaus, we found out that there was a NATO conference in town, thus all the police presence. I've never seen so many police in one place.

Additionally to note. In the airport after landing, I noticed a "No Smoking" sign that indicated there was no smoking in the airport after January 1, 2008. For a European city, I found this very interesting. Then we discovered that the whole city of Munich was no smoking!! Amazing! And very nice for us none smokers!

The next morning was my last day and travel day back to Atlanta. Upon my return I didn't get quite the running hug welcome from both boys that I was used to. Nathan was excited to see me and gave me a running hug, but Colin was asleep with a fever. Just that morning, Colin started getting sick, so I was glad that I came home to be able to comfort him during his sickness.

1 comment:

amy cohen-huffine said...

*Jealous*

Of the trip, not the 10 mile run. How DO you do that?