Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Nathan's bedtime routine

When Nathan was a baby, it took a lot longer to get him to sleep through the night than Colin. But after we established the routine, it was so easy. Five minutes to go through the steps and then leave the room. Then sometime last year, it all deteriorated for me. Everyone else could get Nathan to go to bed, but not me. I struggled so much when Bob went out of town, spending hours going back into his room, calming him down. I think one of the turning points of my downfall was him learning the sign for eat. Nathan would just make the sign for eat, and I took him downstairs for a snack. Bob never did that. I was the one that was easily manipulated. I was so strong with Colin and not letting him manipulate me ... too much. But with Nathan, it was different.

So time to regroup and start all over, which means CIO or "cry it out". A couple nights of letting Nathan just cry and cry and cry (and oh boy can he cry), I think I let him cry almost an hour one or two nights. It just didn't sound like he was ever going to calm himself down. But once he realized that he couldn't push my buttons, it's been smooth sailing for me. I change his diaper while he drinks his milk, brush his teeth, he sits in the bed while I read some books -- sometimes a lot of books (I still have a weak spot for Nathan!). Then I tell him he needs to cover up, so he lays down on his bear, I cover him up and presto! Done!

Now if we could only get him to give up the pacifier at night, which for some reason he calls his "tee tee"?? I have no idea. Must be something he picked up from the first nanny. She called him Nate Nate.

1 comment:

amy cohen-huffine said...

Yay for you! And Nathan! sleep well, little guy.