Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Doctors appointment

I took Nathan and Colin to the doctor for their 2-year and 4-year check-ups. Kinda nice how their birthdays are close enough that I can combine the appointment. You would think that I planned it that way, but not really.

Our pediatrician, Dr. K examined Colin first to show Nathan how it's done. It worked pretty good, and Nathan was very cooperative. However, during the appointment I realized that Nathan will not be the little nudiest that Colin was. At doctor's appointments, the doctor likes you to take off the child's clothes. So after Nathan's clothes were removed, Nathan spent the whole time whimpering about putting them back on, "pants, pants, pants" pointing to his bare legs. Actually, Nathan doesn't like anyone to be naked. If Bob goes into his room at night without a shirt on, "shirt, shirt, shirt", pointing at Dad's bare chest. None the less, Dr. K was able to get his exam done in various stages of dress and undress. It was very impressive.

I, on the other hand, did a major bad mommy thing. I thought for sure that Colin was not going to get any shots this time ... and I told him that! The nurse over heard me telling him and quickly wrote a note which said that he will get 5 shots. What could I do? I felt so incredibly bad. So note to self -- never never ever tell your child that he is not getting any shots, even if you are positive that he won't, even if the appointment is not for him. Because some how some way, the doctor will figure out a way to do the shots thing. Some government ruling on vaccinations will change, or you'll get the information wrong, or a needle will go on a rampage and get your child. You never know, it could happen. Okay, maybe not the needle rampage thing.

Now I have another year until the next annual check-up. I'm going to schedule both Colin and Nathan's appointment at the same time again.

No comments: