Saturday, August 25, 2007

Boys weekend



Bob has resumed the "boys weekend", where he takes Colin and Nathan on trips and lets me stay home and do whatever I want to do. Kinda nice little break for me and a chance for him to do something special with the kids.

Previous trips have been car trips to places like Savannah and Chattanooga. This time he decided to fly somewhere with them. So he checked out the inexpensive fares, and San Antonio was the place he wanted to go.

They visited the San Antonio Zoo, the botanical gardens, the river walk (where they went on a boat ride!), and the Children's Museum. It was also 95 degrees outside so very exhausting for them, but everyone had a good time.

Meanwhile I was at home with plans of doing some major cleaning (only minor cleaning happened), scrapbooking and just relaxing as much as possible, which means major napping!

It was very strange though, and reminded me of what it was like before kids. You know how time just has a way of creeping up and you and before you know it, the whole day is gone and you haven't showered or eaten anything. With the kids around, there is a schedule and a focus for the day's events. I missed that. I've been idealizing the time before kids and all the things that Bob and I could do without having to worry about babysitters. But the reality is that kids force us to schedule and commit to activities, and in some respects I think we might be doing more than before kids. Sounds crazy, huh!

So I was very grateful for the weekend to myself and will look forward to the next "Boys Weekend". But I'm also very grateful for the reminder about how much the kids add to my quality of life.

No comments: