Thursday, August 9, 2007

The kindness of strangers

I dedicate this blog to all the people who helped me traveling with Colin and Nathan by myself. This past week I went to Omaha because of the big extended Godberson/sen reunion in Humphrey, Nebraska. Bob had to go to NI Week down in Austin, Texas, a work conference, so I decided to make the trip to Omaha alone with the boys.

I flew to Kansas City because there wasn't any frequent flyer tickets available to Omaha. The flight to Kansas City was a breeze, I had Bob to drop me off at the airport, check-in the two car seats and big suitcase, then off to the security line. Since I was traveling without the Gold Medallian traveler (Bob), then I expected to have to wait in the super long security line. Gold Medallian travelers get a special line that is much shorter. So I was pleasantly surprised when the airport personnel waved the boys and me to the front of the line (I guess traveling with 2 under the age of 3 years made me look like I needed special assistance!).

Grandma and Grandpa GG (my folks) were waiting for us at the other end of the flight, so I had lots of help with all the bags and car seats there.

Then there was the return flight. First, I'm flying out of Kansas City, and I didn't plan enough time to get to Kansas City from Omaha. The boys and I missed the original flight, well I got there in time to check-in, but not to check bags. So we got to spend some more time with Grandma and Grandpa GG in the airport while I got a couple of beers in me to help with the flight!

I decided to take a car seat on the plane with me for Nathan since it was getting so late (Nathan does a lot better strapped in!). When the plane landed in Atlanta, that was where the fun was going to begin. How do I get the two boys, a car seat, my bag, Colin's backpack, and Dat Dog off the plane and to baggage claim and then to the car. I waited to be the last to deplane, no sense in holding up the line while I get everything off. And along comes a couple that say they just left there 2 year old grandson and is there anything that they can do to help. Sure take the car seat, although I think they were disappointed that I didn't let them carry Nathan!

This couple helped us all the way to the train, and said that I shouldn't be shy about asking for help when the train got to backage claim. When the train arrived at baggage claim, another couple grabbed the car seat and told me to lead the way. I haven't even touched the car seat yet! So I found a cart to put all the baggage on and let the couple know how appreciative I was for their help.

So I got all the bags, car seats, and kids loaded up with Nathan is in a bjorn on my chest. As I make my way to the car, yet another family offer their help. They end up carrying both car seats all the way to the car and then installing the car seats for me!

Once I was on the road to home, I breathed a sigh of relief. Thank you to all the people that came to my assistance. Really makes you think that the world isn't such a bad place after all!

No comments: