Sunday, April 20, 2008

San Fran - Saturday

On Saturday, the last day in San Francisco, we rented a car and drove to Rancho San Antonio which is a large preserve with trails and a living history farm. Bob and I have been here before and really enjoy running on the trails. We thought there was a playground for the boys, but there wasn't. The farm was entertainment enough for the kids, although I felt bad that we talked about a playground that didn't exist.

Previously at the park, I saw a bobcat on the hillside, then watched her walk across the trail just a couple hundred yards in front of me. There were other people with me watching, so I wasn't too scared. It was really pretty exciting.

However, during this trip to Deer Hollow Farm, Colin, Nathan and I were sitting down eating a snack when I heard a loud buzzing noise. Looking up I saw a large swarm of bees hoovering above the courtyard. It wasn't exciting, it was scary. I tried to get Colin and Nathan out of there and was pretty agitated, when Colin says to me, "Just calm down Mom, if we don't bother them, they won't bother us." Words that originally came from me. It was rather cute, and at least calmed me down a little. Meanwhile the swarm moved over the barn and across the trail to an open field where I lost sight of them.

A park employee saw the swarm as well and confirmed my observations adding that they were acting a little bit angry. Yikes! I was really happy that I didn't draw attention to me and the kids. But I would've been a lot more comfortable to put some distance between us when I first saw the swarm.

Having a rental car enabled us to do something that we have not done the whole trip -- give the kids a nap! On the way to the park, Nathan fell asleep. Then on the way back, Colin fell asleep. They were so tired from a fun-filled week, and the hotel room was way too exciting to nap in. We did try to get them to nap after the aquarium on Friday, but didn't happen.

For dinner, we found a McDonald's close to the hotel. Ahh, comfort food! On the way back from dinner, Colin melted down. He didn't want to go home in the morning. I was a little touched by this because it meant that he had a really good time. Luckily though, we were able to convince him that going home was a good idea because the Inman Park Festival is in a couple of weeks and that meant Mom got to drive a golf cart!

No comments: