Sunday, July 22, 2007

Colin's favorite color

At first Colin's favorite color was pink -- specifically dark pink. Well, I'm not one to say "pink is a girl's color, not a boy's color", so dark pink it was. Actually, at a Mom's Night Out, I found out that almost all the boys' favorite colors were pink. So it's not like Colin is alone.

Anyway, the other day Colin informed us that his favorite color is now blue. I asked why and he said something about the babysitter suggesting a new favorite color. I can't remember exactly what Colin said, but definitely got the impression that the babysitter didn't think his favorite color should be pink. I guess if the babysitter didn't say it then eventually someone at school would've.

Along the lines of gender discussions, much like my take on telling Colin what color is a girl's color and boy's color, I really try to leave gender out of all discussions, like when he wants to wear my makeup or shave his legs or put toe nail polish on. So a couple of weeks ago I was totally unprepared when Colin told me that he wanted to have a baby when he grew up. I told him that only girls can have babies, he looked a little disappointed but he didn't pursue the topic further. I feel like I missed the boat on something deeper, and I may have squashed his paternal instincts or something. Probably not, he is only 3 1/2 and the topic may come up again!

So more of Colin's favorites: his favorite car is a motorcycle (oh, help me!), and his favorite food is grilled cheese. Whenever he talks about his favorites, it's "my favorite ---- in the whole world!"

1 comment:

Sheila said...

HEHE, that's is so funny. Andrew's favorite color is still Brown. At school they had to make a button to wear with their favorite color and Andrew's was the only brown button. What an individual.

I miss you guys!!!!