Sunday, March 4, 2007

Colin's birth story - short version

Colin's birth story is pretty well documented by our doula Patty, but I wanted to make sure that one additional thing was recorded, so I will summerize the whole thing adding my one additional fact.

Midnight on Colin's due date, my water broke after we went to bed. "Uh-oh" I said to Bob, but in his sleepy state, it didn't even register what I was talking about! So off to the hospital. My goal was an unmedicated natural birth. Well, the way that Bob likes to put it is if there was any one that should've been born via C-section, it was Colin. However, being the stubborn person that I am, Colin was born 32 hours later after an epidural (so I could rest), and 2.5 hours of pushing.

So it was Wednesday night when my water broke. Bob called the office Thursday to tell everyone that he wouldn't be in because little Sandage was on his/her way (we didn't know if it was a girl or boy at that time). Friday morning comes and people start coming into the office wondering why Bob has not contacted the office with any news. So the our secretary Deb called the labor and delivery room, just as they determine that I am ready to start pushing. The phone rings, everyone looks around and is like, "do we answer that?" I'm definitely not answering it, laboring away like I was! The doctor says, "sure, I'll get it!" and tell's the caller "she's not available right now, she's about to have the baby!" Perfect timing Deb!

No comments: