Sunday, July 27, 2008

Austin - Bats


My favorite thing to do in Austin is see the bats come out at dusk. Congress Street bridge in downtown Austin is the home of the largest urban bat colony. The bridge was even specially constructed with grooves on the underside of the bridge to provide lots of roosting places for the bats.

We went to watch the bats from the top of the bridge this time. It takes about 20 minutes or more for all the bats to emerge from the bridge and go down stream to consume many tons of insects each night. Colin wanted to watch the bats from underneath the bridge, but I thought we might need an umbrella if we were to be down there (for all the bat poop!)

The bats starting to come out from under the bridge.

Clouds of bats going down stream.

Nathan and Colin listening to the vibrations of the bridge railing. I'm not exactly sure why!

2 comments:

amy cohen-huffine said...

Kristine - first EEEWWW bats! There are a bunch in Gainesville, love that they eat mosquitos, hate that they come out at night and freak me yout. Blech. Second, there are 3 comments form random online gambling sites on this post... FYI. Really strange.

Kristine said...

First, the bats are so cool! Even if you don't like bats, I think you would think so! Second, I am finally able to get rid of those pesky spamming comments. I think it was a new feature just added to blogger.