Sunday, March 2, 2008

Thinking outside the box

Twice today Colin did a really good job of coming up with alternate solutions to a problem. I'm so proud!

This morning, Bob did a 9-mile run so the rule in our house is that the person who runs the most gets to pick where we go eat. Colin wanted to go to Moe's, and fortunately that was okay with Bob. But Colin wanted to walk to Moe's. Bob's no slouch but after 9 miles, he really didn't feel like walking almost a mile to Moe's. We tried to explain that to Colin. And you know what Colin came up with ... Mom and him could walk, and Dad and Nathan could drive! I thought that was brilliant! So Colin and I walked to Moe's.

Switch gears to dinner time ... Nathan has this thing like most little brothers, that anything that big brother has, he has to have. At dinner, Colin wanted a glass of water, so I got him a glass. Then Nathan wanted a glass. Well, we were out of glasses so I gave him a plastic sippy cup with water. He wasn't happy with this and was causing quite a scene. I was explaining to Nathan that all the glasses were dirty. Then Colin says that he will drink his water out of a plastic sippy cup so Nathan will be happy. I didn't even think of this solution. Again I was so proud of Colin's ability to think outside the box to solve a problem.

No comments: