Sunday, June 17, 2007

My recon mission

Last night, Colin came into our room at 5am asking for Dat Dog. Apparently we forgot Dat Dog when Colin went to bed, but now he wanted him. So I checked down stairs, no Dat Dog. Then it dawned on me, Dat Dog was in Nathan's room, aka "enemy territory".

You might recall in earlier posts about how light Nathan sleeps, so that we are unable to look in on him at night like we can with Colin. Well, sometimes just opening his door will be enough to wake him up. Now I have to open the door, go in, and retrieve a stuffed animal that will start making music if I'm not extremely careful -- Dat Dog's music is motion activated.

So with the music for "Mission Impossible" going through my head, I approach Nathan's door. Open the door, walk in, and stirring from the crib!! So immediately I hit the deck, and lay face down on the floor. The door is still open. I gently raise my body off the floor on my elbows and toes and edge back toward the door. I don't want to reverse crawl on my belly because the sound of my body dragging on the floor will definitely wake him.

When the stirring in the crib finally stops, and I get close enough to the door to close it with my feet. Now using the same manuever, body raised on toes and elbows, I inch toward the presumed location of Dat Dog. Minutes go by, and I reach around and feel for Dat Dog -- jackpot! I very carefully evaluate Dat Dog's position, then stirring from the crib again! Lots of stirring, I try to see if Nathan has stood up because that would be a very bad sign, but it's too dark. So I just lay on the floor waiting.

Once again, Nathan gets quiet so I resume the retrieval. Very carefully I lift Dat Dog without activating the music and inch back towards the door. Once I get to the door, I slowly open the door and try to get the dog out of the room, then I will follow. But as I move Dat Dog toward the door, I accidently bump the dog on the door and the music starts! Quickly, I exit and close the door. Fortunately I don't hear anything else coming from the other side!!

I put Dat Dog in Colin's bed because Dat Dog is not allowed in our bed. The music keeps Bob awake. Colin is in our bed, asleep ... in my spot. So I tell Colin that Dat Dog is in his bed. Colin quickly leaves our room for the comfort of his beloved Dat Dog.

Mission accomplished!

No comments: