Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Nashville hotel bedtime

Memorial Day weekend, we went to Nashville for a wedding. Bob brewed the beer for the wedding reception, and we were invited as a 'thank you'. As it turned out, Bob was the only one of us to go to the wedding, whereas I stayed in the hotel with Colin and Nathan.

So I had the task of putting them to bed in a one room hotel. This turned out to be quite comical. Of course, it was comical after the fact; during the whole ordeal, I wasn't sure if they were ever going to go to sleep!

First I laid Colin on the bed, told him to be quiet and then laid Nathan in the crib. I retreated to the bathroom. My plan was that they were pretty tired, Colin went swimming that afternoon in the pool, and Nathan had a really short nap. So even if they played and talked to each other a while, they would eventually go to sleep. Well, after 5 minutes it was getting really loud in the room, and Nathan was sounding really miserable.

So I went back in got Nathan up, told Colin to go in the bathroom. I gave Nathan some milk and put him back in the crib. Quickly retreated to the bathroom before Colin came out of the bathroom and stayed in there with Colin. After 20 minutes, I figured it was safe to come out and put Colin in the bed, I was going to lay down next to him and hope Colin went to sleep quickly. Well, I was wrong, it was not safe to come out. Nathan was standing in the crib waiting for us. As soon as he saw us, he started crying.

Get Nathan back out of the crib for some more milk. He's pretty full of milk by now, so Nathan just takes his time with the milk. Meanwhile Colin has put all the pillows from his bed on the floor between the bed and the wall and makes a little cubby for him. He lays on top of the pillows and goes to sleep! Before Nathan! So Nathan finally gets done (playing) with his milk. I put him back into the crib and make a very fast retreat to the bathroom! My book is in there so I just stayed in the bathroom reading for over an hour before I even think about opening the bathroom door.

So that was my evening reading in the bathroom ... while Bob was at the wedding reception smoozing with everyone about his beer. I really didn't mind though, I got through about half of a Steven King book! Usually I only allow myself to read while walking on the treadmill. So this is a treat for me, to be able to read without the bouncing up and down of walking on a treadmill.

No comments: