Sunday, July 19, 2009

David's Wedding


My brother got married! Woo Hoo! Big excitement and celebration. Colin and Nathan were the ring bearers and Bob was a groomsman. I had the important job of mother of the ring bearers.

We flew in Friday, getting up at 5am. Bob had the special treat of flying to California the day before and returning on the red eye Thursday night. He flew in Friday morning, got a couple hours of sleep before going back to the airport again. We flew to Kansas City (fares to Omaha are outrageous!) and then drove to Omaha. First we visited with Grandma Mary, Grandpa Jerry and Great Grandma JJ before heading to Nikki's where we were staying. Bob and I had just enough time to get a teeny tiny nap in before going to the rehearsal. David was so cute, dancing down the aisle during the rehearsal. The rehearsal dinner was at Godfather's Pizza where everyone had a good time. We got back to Nikki's after dark and the fireflies were out, so we caught some fireflies before getting to bed.

Saturday was just as hectic. I woke up early to go a 16 mile run. Training for the Chicago Marathon doesn't stop for anything, you know. More visits to Grandma Mary's and Grandpa Jerry's where the kids stayed the night too. Bob and I had plans to go to Misty and Heath's where most of my cousins were getting together. That was the first time in a long time that so many of us were able to get together and chat.

Sunday was the big day for David and Bernadette. I was the lead person in getting the reception hall ready but my cousin Misty had been to many receptions at the Reed Center and was a big help in telling everyone what to do. My cousin, Scott's wife, Melissa was also a major helper in getting everything done. Uncle Tom and Connie were also there and blew up the balloons. Although every time I looked over at them, they were doing something crazy like using the balloons for augmenting body parts (that was Connie not Tom!)

The wedding was beautiful, and Colin and Nathan were the perfect little ring bearers. Colin took the responsibility very seriously and stood up there very solemn the whole ceremony. Nathan was a typical 3-year-old and got a little antsy but it was all so cute. Just a little wiggling around, but still he was very good.

David and Bernadette got married in the same church that Bob and I did. During our wedding we forgot to light the candles so we had no flame for the unity candle. David kept in the tradition by forgetting the paperwork for the judge to sign after the ceremony! Fortunately, the paperwork was found after the wedding and the judge agreed to go to the reception and do the paperwork there.

The reception was also at the same place as when Bob and I got married, the Reed Center which is also the same place that I went to Summer Day Camp when I was a little girl. After it got dark, Colin and Nathan played in the backyard where I played as a little girl. Colin and Nathan caught more fireflies that night.

While staying at my sister’s house, I noticed that she had the same eye shadow that I had. I mean out of all the million’s of different eye shadow colors out there, we have the same one. It actually was a 3-pack and it was the same color in the 3-pack that we both used. Reminded of the time I returned home from college with my long hair cut off. Only to discover that Nikki had cut her long hair too. We had no idea the other one was thinking about doing it. I guess there is just something about sisters.

No comments: