Monday, September 15, 2008

Second child syndrome

Last week, Nathan fell on his face and it looked like his front teeth got hit pretty bad. So off to the dentist to check it out. Nathan's first trip to the dentist, and he didn't cooperate very much. I had to hold him upside down to show the dentist his teeth and gums. Turns out everything is okay, but as I was telling my mom the story, it occurred to me that this is not the first incident for poor Nathan. I guess being the second means getting banged up more. Some of the incidents involved big brother like this one where Colin was dragging a blanket around and Nathan was riding on it. First Nathan was riding laying down or sitting, but apparently he stood up and that's when the accident happened.

So this is a list of the times that I remember where Nathan got injured, and there may be more that I forgot.

Anyway, there was the time that Colin threw a car at Nathan and cut his head. That was a lot of blood and freaked me out pretty bad. Nathan was less than a year at that point.

Then Nathan's chair tipped forward when he was scooting up to the little table, and he banged his head. He still has a scar next to his eye where it happened. Colin was at school during that one!

Then at the zoo, Nathan fell off a small ledge, head first onto the ground (like about 18 inches to the ground). Huge knot on his head that time. No blood. Below is a picture about an hour after the incident. The knot is above his eye on his forehead.

Then he and Colin were playing in the bathroom, I have no idea what happened, but next thing I know, Nathan's tongue is bleeding and bleeding and bleeding. When we were finally able to see the damage, it looked like a butterfly cut on his tongue, yuck! That took a while to heal, but surprisingly faster than you would think.

So I would conclude that Nathan definitely has the second child syndrome ... and I much prefer to call it that than "accident prone"!

2 comments:

amy cohen-huffine said...

Poor buddy. Tooth injuries are no fun at all. Glad he was ok.

He may get bumped and bruised more, but it sure is fun having a big brother to play with. ;)

Kristine said...

Oh don't I know it! Nathan is such a tough cookie, most of the time, the spills and tumbles don't even phase him ... except for the tongue injury. He was grumpy for a whole day after that one!