Sunday, September 28, 2008

Homework

Colin has become fascinated with homework. One night when I was trying to get them to go to bed and Colin came downstairs and said his teacher wanted him to do some work to take to school in the morning. I was sceptical because I was one of those kids that stayed up too late and sometimes ... gasp! ... skipped school to finish homework that I put off to the last minute. I did not want him to become one of those kids. But he is only four and I so I let him work for 5 minutes on practicing his cursive writing. The next morning he took his work to school for his teacher to see. Funny thing is, we had a meeting at the school the next night and the teacher thought the work that Colin gave her was a note that he wrote to her, and not a homework assignment.

I think I've figured out Colin's fascination with homework. His nanny, Danni has started back at school and talks about her homework. So I think he is just trying to be like Danni.

The funniest part about all this is that Montessori schools do not even advocate homework at all! Even in the higher grades.

No comments: