Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Birthday party!!



Colin's birthday party was last Sunday. He was so excited. We invited a handful of kids from school, our next door neighbor Mattison, and Grace from the old house. Being the holiday weekend, I fully expected about 50% to not be able to come. Well, big surprise! Everyone except for one family was able to come! At least it was going to be outside, I thought. Well, then it rained all day Sunday (day of the party), so everyone was inside -- good thing we have a big house and Colin and Nathan's rooms were clean so the kids could go upstairs too! We ended up having 12 kids and 15 adults here! Have you ever heard about that rule of thumb that there should only be the number of kids equal to the number of the birthday? That would be only 4 kids, oh well! Colin had a great time!

The day before the party, Colin asked if his teacher, Maureen was going to come. Didn't invite her, I told him. "Please, call her and invite her to the party," he says. So I did. She was very flattered, and said that she would stop by and make an appearance. All the kids were so excited to see their teacher at the party. It was really pretty cool.

As you can see from the pictures, Colin is wearing a pretty outrageous outfit. A blue/green striped long sleeve polo with a short sleeve plaid shirt on top of it! He picked it out all by himself. And I was very proud of myself that I let him wear it ... very montessori of me (and him!). I guess I figured that we have plenty of pictures of him looking like I dressed him, that it wouldn't hurt to have the pictures this time looking like ... well, that he dressed himself!

All the other birthdays, I've always waited to the last minute and got a cake at the local grocery store. The cakes were okay, but this time I was talking to someone at Bob's office that mentioned his girlfriend makes cakes. I was intrigued and checked out her website, www.rachmakescakes.com . I figure it's about time to get a professional cake for Colin's birthday. Bob and Colin came up with the idea to do a Dr. Seuss theme, specifically the Lorax. We've read this story to Colin several times, and he really likes it. So I asked Colin to pick out his favorite page in the book. It had Truffala Trees and Brown Bar-ba-loots on the page he picked. So I emailed Rachael scans of the pages from Colin's book. She said that she had some ideas and thought it would be pretty cool.



When the cake arrived, WOW it looked so cool as you can see from the pictures, and you can eat everything on the cake too. What I wasn't counting on was how delicious the cake was. Colin wanted chocolate cake, and she put chocolate chips into the chocolate cake which made it even more incredible. I think I've found our cake maker for the rest of our birthdays and holidays and get-togethers and whatever occasion that I can think of!

I think that just about sums up Colin's birthday party. Lots of people, Colin's crazy outfit (and I mean that in a good way!), and the awesome cake. Hope all the rest of the boy's birthday parties are this successful.

No comments: